Thursday, August 30, 2012

Once upon a midnight dreary...

If you're not familiar with the title of this post, it is the opening line of Edgar Allan Poe's "The Raven." This is my last semester of college and since I'm an English major we are required to do a Capstone project and after choosing to work with Jane Austen I realized that just wasn't my cup of tea and I switched to Poe. I have no idea why I didn't think of Poe before but I am so happy I decided to change. I will be spending the next 15 weeks of my life working on this project so I had to pick something I was interested in. I've read a lot of Poe and I really love his work so I'm very excited to research some of the lesser known stories. I'm planning on looking at between three and five of his short stories and looking at how they work in terms of Gothic Fiction and also the role Poe had in creating the Detective/Horror genre (which, if you've read any of his stuff, you know he was pretty messed up). I will also be looking at different ways he portrayed narration and just the overall creepiness of his text. I seriously can't wait! If you've read my blog before you know how much I love the horror genre so this is totally up my alley. I will also get to incorporate Alice Sebold's The Lovely Bones into my project in terms of how it works with Gothic fiction and narration so I'm really excited about that because it's one of my favorite books! As you can tell, I'm pretty excited about this whole thing!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment