Thursday, July 5, 2012

The Descendants. The Ward. Identity. 1408.

The Descendants (2011)
So I've been hearing lots of good things about this movie so after a couple months I finally got it from the library. My mom saw it in theaters and she said it was really good but I didn't really think it looked all that exciting so I opted to not go. Well it didn't have a ton of exciting moments but it was still a good, solid film. The plot is basically centered on George Clooney as a man whose wife has just had an accident and is now in a coma and his relationship with his two daugters who he didn't have much of a relationship with before. While the wife is in the coma Clooney finds out that she has been having an affair and that their mutual friends and his daughter knew about it. I was appalled by the way her friend acted about the whole affair, I really just wanted to slap her. She didn't think the woman was doing anything wrong by having an affair and she didn't want to betray her friend by discussing it with the woman's husband and I just didn't like that. But other than that, it was a good movie. Clooney's relationship with his daugthers improve throughout the film and that was nice to see and he also improves as a person which I think was really the whole point of this movie. It just shows what happens to a family when one of the worst possible things happen and how that family reacts and works together. If you like a good dramatic movie then I would suggest this.

The Ward (2010)

Bad. That's really all there is to say about this movie. As you already know I am a huge horror movie fan and I also usually really like John Carpenter's work (he is after all the mastermind behind one of my favorite horror movies, Halloween) but this was just lame. It didn't make a lot of sense, the parts that were supposed to be scary came off more as laughable and it was a total ripoff of Shutter Island and Identity (side note: if you haven't seen Identity with John Cusack, you should totally rent it). I hate when a movie rips off an idea of something that was recently new and this did just that. This was a waste of time and I would not recommend this at all.

Identity (2003)


Since I mentioned this movie in talking about The Ward I thought I would do a quick review of it. This movie is sweet! I've seen it a couple times and I've got to be honest, the first time I watched it I didn't totally understand it which is why I watched it more than once. I don't want to completely spoil it but basically this movie has an awesome twist at the end (that I didn't see coming, but maybe you will). It stars one of my favorite people, John Cusack and he is just as awesome in this as he is in everything else. This movie is very simliar to Shutter Island but Identity did come first. Identity is one of those movies that keeps you on the edge of your seat and I wouldn't describe it as a horror movie but rather a thriller, and a very good one. I love the twist at the end and watching it twice definitely makes it more understandable.

1408 (2007)
I'm really not sure why, but I am obsessed with this movie. I've seen it numerous times and I still can't get enough. Maybe it's because of John Cusack? Who knows. 1408 is based on a short story by Stephen King (who almost always gets it right) and if you've seen other Stephen King movies (IT, Thinner, Needful Things) this is a lot better. King movies are either really good (Rose Red, The Shining, The Stand, Storm of the Century) or not so good (see above) but I always love to watch them. 1408 is about a writer (Cusack) who writes about haunted hotels and he travels to the Dolphin Hotel to research supposedly haunted room 1408. He is greeted by the manager of the hotel played by Samuel L. Jackson who doesn't want him to enter the room but against his wishes Cusack enters anyway and insanity ensues. The stuff that goes down in that room is crazy and just really brings this movie to a whole new level. It's a horror/thriller/action/mystery movie and I definitely recommed it, it's one of my favorites! I also read the short story and though it wasn't nearly as good as the movie it was stull pretty creepy.

No comments:

Post a Comment